Author Topic: StarCraft: The Board Game  (Read 5562 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
StarCraft: The Board Game
« on: December 14, 2014, 23:55:56 »
I finally got StarCraft: The Board Game out to play against my son. We've been building up to more complicated games over the years. Since it had been quite a while since the last time I played the game, which I believe was close to 5 years ago, I remembered only a little about how the game worked. One of my favorite things about this game is definitely the figures. While getting them out, my youngest daughter saw them and thought they looked so cool that she ended up moving all of my figures in front of herself at the end of the table.

It took about 2 hours for us to get setup and go through enough of the rules to start our first turn. Unfortunately for my son, the planning phase of the game is a little tricky to get the hang of, with movement being attempted on the wrong space, and then many other actions being unusable. Looking back now, we probably should have restarted after we got through the first round. Anyway, by the end of the second round the game was over anyway. I had destroyed his base, and the army that I had coming his way was 3 times the size of his remaining force. I claimed the win based on The Queen of Blades special victory conditions, but after reading over some posts on BGG, I'm going to have to re-read those rules. I may have claimed it a bit too early, even though it seemed inevitable anyway.

In any case, Isaac said he was interested in playing again sometime, and he does think it will go smoother next time. For comparison of a game that takes a similar timeframe, I asked him if liked playing this or Conquest Of The Empire better. He said he liked Conquest better. I think he might be partial to Conquest based on it being it is my favorite game and I've made quite a big deal of it for years. I mentioned to him that A Game Of Thrones: The Board Game is also a game that has planning phase similar to StarCraft, although it's different since players I don't remember Thrones allowing players to bury your actions like they can in StarCraft. Maybe next month I'll be able to convince him to play that one.

I also introduced him to Carcassonne last week. Lately, whenever I've asked him if he's interested in playing a board game he has asked, "What haven't we played yet?" instead of automatically assuming that he knows which games are good. Although, he did mention one day that "We haven't played Monopoly." I told him that I'd play it with him if he really wanted too, but I'd much rather play just about anything else.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 00:15:00 by Dragon »
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)