Author Topic: New forum member here! Getting back into Tyco!  (Read 4929 times)

kras

• Copper Level
  • Where do I go from here?
New forum member here! Getting back into Tyco!
« on: December 09, 2019, 19:51:11 »
Hello everyone!  I just recently decided that I would like to try and collect some of my favourite Tyco RCs from when I was a kid in the 90s! 

I live in Canada and grew up in a rural town, but I still remember a time when everyone my age had some sort of Tyco.

So far I've picked up a Mutator and a fast traxx but I want a scorcher so bad! I'll try and attach pics so bear with me!

The Mutator I picked up for $20 off Kijiji and it's a beast.  I bought some new NiMH 9.6v packs off amazon and I'm really stoked at how well this thing performs... Just like when I was a kid!  I cleaned it up and re did the headlights with colored duck tape... I feel like it turned out pretty nice.

The other one I picked up was a Fast Traxx of course.  The most enigmatic and exciting RC of the early 90s(IMO). I found this one for $50 but I wasn't in my city so I had it mailed to me.  The seller claimed it was new but it has definitely had a few rough runs.

So far I've found the battery lid pins are snapped, hi/lo gears are stripped and the treads are in a little rough shape.

Somehow though the body of the fast traxx is in really nice shape...

Does anyone know where I can find new treads for my traxx?!  I found a new batt cover and gears but I really would like to purchase some new treads!

I have seen pics of an "updated" tread but I can't find any available right now... Thoughts?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JgStW7C7PcnkRJwn6
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 22:22:36 by kras »

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Re: New forum member here! Getting back into Tyco!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 17:41:10 »
Hi Kras, welcome to the forum!

That Mutator looks great! Seems like a nice find for $20.

Regarding the tracks, Tamiya, a popular manufacturer of high end R/C vehicles has a Track replacement kit. It looks like it has extra sections for making different lengths of tracks. Maybe that would work for you. I've found it for sale online at https://www.micromark.com/Tamiya-Track-and-Wheel-Set for $9.95. If you decide to order it, please come back and let us know how it turns out. 
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

kras

• Copper Level
  • Where do I go from here?
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 23:37:52 »
That's a really interesting solution.  I had no idea something like that existed!  It would be fun to make your own tracked vehicle out of that kit  8)

I think I am more so looking for tracks specifically made for the fast traxx though so I can keep the factory look  :D

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 18:46:51 »
Understandable, wanting to keep it "stock". Just something to keep in mind if it takes a while to find official parts.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 11:35:12 »
So I might have some treads for a fast traxx I could look if that is something you are interested in. The replacements they made had a different tread design then the ?lightening bolt? pattern but they still look good.

That's a really interesting solution.  I had no idea something like that existed!  It would be fun to make your own tracked vehicle out of that kit  8)

I think I am more so looking for tracks specifically made for the fast traxx though so I can keep the factory look  :D
"If there are no such things as stupid questions than what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they suddenly become smart right before they are about to ask a question?"