Author Topic: Dao  (Read 708 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Dao
« on: April 12, 2022, 18:26:43 »
I do like playing classic abstract games in addition to modern board games. The game of Dao fits in quite nicely with the ancient classics, even though it is only a couple decades old. Although we were playing Dao outside in the dirt, it is a game that I first was given as a gift from my friend Rick Seyfert, aka Commander Ambitious, several years ago. Although I like owning the physical copy of the game, it's only slightly more difficult to put together while out camping than it is to scratch out a game of Tic-Tac-Toes in the dirt. 

Dao is a two-player game, played on a 4x4 grid with 8 pieces, 4 for each player.

Quote from: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/948/dao
The game consists of only one simple rule and three ways to win. Pieces move in a straight line, including diagonally, as far as possible with no jumps. The three ways to win are arranging your pieces in a straight line on the board (not diagonally), occupying the four corners, or forming a 2x2 square anywhere on the board. However, ... trapping an opponent's piece in a corner loses!

Most of the time when we play, we just play with the rules of winning by forming a straight line and losing by trapping an opponent in the corner. When I got the game originally, the way I learned it was having the other rules as "advanced" rules, and I often either skip them, to make it easier to transition for kids that just want to play Tic-Tac-Toe, or because it's been a while since I played and I forget the other win conditions.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 18:36:53 by Dragon »
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)