Author Topic: Who's interested in Descent?  (Read 33774 times)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
Who's interested in Descent?
« on: October 13, 2008, 23:21:17 »
I've been figuring out how I can host a game of Descent on the forums using my purchased copy and expansions.  Seeing as how we've been having trouble getting together for an actual game, I thought if I could put some "abridged levels" up here, we could get through a few faster than we might if having to schedule them.

The way it would work is simple.  I would start a new thread with the first post being an image of the board, and the second post listing the characters and their items and stats. 

Anyone interested can claim a hero, but if you start playing, it's only polite that you keep playing until the game is completed.  If we run short of people, one or more players may need to control multiple heroes, and we can certainly have hand-offs during the game if needed..

---Basic--Play-------------------------------------

Each person would name the hero they are activating.  Then they would spend their Action Points, and move them using the standard 8-direction commands (n,s,w,e,nw,ne,sw,se).  The board will also be numbered as a grid, so to attack, choose the space you wish to target .  A turn would look something like this:

Drink Health Potion, N, N, NW, Attack G8 with Axe.

The main difference between this and the regular game is that you have to make all of your turn without knowing it's success right away.  Once your turn is posted, I will update the "starting map post" to reflect your move.  Sometimes, as Overlord, I may play a trap.  In this case, you will be notified of where it happened in your turn, and how much of your move you have left.  You may then repost.

Opening a door or chest costs 2 move points.  Activating an encounter symbol [?] costs 0 move points.  When you do one of these things during your turn, stop and post!  I will update the board, then you may finish your move.  The exception in this game is that another player may move before the player that opened the door, activated the encounter or got hit by a trap finishes their move, but no one may move until after the encounter or door opening has been resolved (you might miss something important).

Multiple players may move before I resolve an attack, and if a second player attacks a target that was killed by the first player, I will roll the second player's attack to the next closest monster if applicable.  This also applies to a single player's BATTLE attack.  Otherwise, you may choose an alternate monster in your post. 

You may also add fatigue to your move, but you must do this blind, meaning you have to add it to an attack BEFORE you roll.  If an attack misses, the fatigue spent will not be deducted, but you won't be able to use it to extend your turn after it has been resolved.  The only way you can alter your turn once posted is if you are caught in a trap, open a door or have an encounter. 

To spend fatigue, simply add (F#) after the action you want to use fatigue to enhance. [ex.: W, W, NW, NW, N(F), Attack A10 with Bow (F2).  You used 1 fatigue for movement and 2 to add 2 power dice to the attack roll.]

If a weapon uses surges [~], they will be spent automatically on the most logical thing unless stated otherwise during your attack.  [ex. your rune takes ~~~ to add BLAST 1 and ~ to add +1 range.  Surges would only be spent on range if the attack did not otherwise have enough range to reach its target.  In this example, you may want to specify, "blast if able".]

Orders that you place will be handled automatically:

Aim - When you have an aim order, you can add (AIMED) to one declared attack.  Your attack will then be rolled twice, and the best result will be used.

Dodge - If you have a dodge order, you will dodge everything that attacks you that round.  Every attack against you will be rolled twice and the worst result will be used.

Guard - If you have a guard order, by default you will attack the first thing that tries to attack you during the overlord turn (if able).  If you wish, you may specify other conditions with which to trigger your guard order when you place it.  You will not be able to trigger guard orders after I have posted the Overlord turn, if they could be used they will have been automatically at the most advantageous time for you.

Rest - Restores full fatigue if you do not take damage before your next turn.

Also, shields will be used to block the first attack against you that causes more damage than your regular armor can absorb.

Once all the heroes have been activated, I will complete the Overlord's turn, detailing cards played and discarded for threat, monsters spawned and moved, and any damage to heroes.  Then I'll update the board post to reflect this.

---------------------------------------------------------------
[Disclaimer:  This is not a full online version of Descent.  This is a forum-based game run by a person who actually owns the game and its expansions, and is being played by members of Dragons Hobbies, who comprise the core gaming group that would be playing this game in real life if time permitted.  The boards used in the games are original configurations not used in any of the Descent manuals, and threads will be removed one week after the game is completed.]
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 14:51:51 by TylerChuit »
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Re: Who's interested in Descent?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 23:33:52 »
I like how this sounds.  :)  Definitely count me in. I think you thought of every question that I was thinking of while reading through your description except one. Don't you think the use of F# for Fatigue might end up confusing since F# might also be a space on the board that a player may want to attack?
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 09:28:19 »
 :(

...Well, I didn't think of that.  I had figured that fatigue expenditure would be expressed with parenthesis, so I suppose we could make that a requirement.  Otherwise, I could just number the board so there was no F1-5.  Thanks for pointing it out. :)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 09:48:55 »
It might be a little odd if F1-5 would otherwise logically be on the board, so the requirement of parenthesis around Fatigue use should be fine, especially if we're always using the keyword 'Attack' before declaring a space anyway.

Regarding play requirements, is expecting everyone to post at least once each week a reasonable requirement? Should it be more or less than that? The only reason why I want to use the word 'requirement' there is because we need to know when we can make command decisions over another player's character if that player isn't active.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 20:08:01 »
Count me in!!   :D

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 14:14:21 »
okay, great! I should have the first board up and ready to go by the weekend.  In the meantime, do you have any requests for the TYPE of character you'd like to have?  Like fast and light, slow but harder to kill, magic, melee, etc.

I will try to accomodate your requests and round out your group to be even and fair.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 15:47:50 »
I'd like a character who has either a powerful magic or ranged attack. Light with fast movement is preferable over the hardened turtle.

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 19:53:27 »
I want to be the bad-ass brute of man!

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 01:17:00 »
I'll play the slow but hard to kill turtle.

Mac
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 13:58:59 »
Sounds like a good mix.  I'll make the fourth a mid-range / medium-attacker to round it out. 

Bad-ass, huh?  I got just the guy for you, Wylders. ;D

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 11:47:42 »
Ok, had a few small delays and distractions.  I have the board made and characters selected.  I'll have it up THIS weekend by Saturday evening.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 12:41:55 »
Cool. Have you got a fourth player yet? Bapizoid told me he is interested.

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 13:09:37 »
I haven't seen that person.  Are they on the forum?  I'd like to see them post a message.

Otherwise, I have someone from my WoW guild that was interested.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 15:35:45 »
I agree that I'd like to see the fourth person post here. I told Bapizoid to post here if he was interested. The last message he sent me said that he registered on the forum and was awaiting the confirmation email. Either person is fine with me.

bapizoid

• Copper Level
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 16:56:15 »
i am interested , sounds like fun ,