Author Topic: Help me with a tamtech Ferrari  (Read 40928 times)

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
Help me with a tamtech Ferrari
« on: December 10, 2011, 14:09:26 »
forever ago i bought one of these ferraris to try to get me into understanding hobby grade cars and electronics( i want to be able to mod tyco's). i haven't touched it since i got it, its already mostly built i think all it needs is a speed control and radio and reciever. it came with two 1800 7.4v lipo batteries. i don't know anything about lipo's and charging or speed controls and radios and recievers.  i will have pictures soon so you can help me out better. but all input is welcome!

it doesn't have the original motor in it although i do have it.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 14:39:28 by czstycor/c »
"If there are no such things as stupid questions than what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they suddenly become smart right before they are about to ask a question?"

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
Re: Help me with a tamtech Ferrari
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 14:37:07 »

here is a little a tech biggie, don't know if i could use these components.

"If there are no such things as stupid questions than what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they suddenly become smart right before they are about to ask a question?"

olds45512

• Silver Level
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 20:11:06 »
ive been building hobby grade cars for about 18 years and race rc every friday night so i think i can help you out. first off the lipo batteries are great but require a lipo charger, a good lipo charger can be had for aroud 40 bucks. if you run lipos you will need to have a speed control with a lipo cut off, if you dont have a lipo cut off it very easy to ruin your lipo packs. once you drain a 7.4v lipo past 6.6v its junk and is totally unsafe to charge.

the green motor you have is a brushless motor and requires a brushless speed control. the other electronics you showed a brushed and would work just fine, keep in mind that brushed esc doesnt have a lipo cut off. if you go to hobbyking or hobbypartz you can find a cheap esc that will run that brushless motor and have a lipo cut off in it.

i did a hooby grade conversion on my eliminator and used an axial ae1 speed control in it. it was the only esc i could find that would allow me to run the stock tyco battery packs. i used the axial esc with the stock tyco motor and it was a huge difference, the truck will wheel stand in high gear from a dead stop. if you need more info just ask.

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 21:45:32 »
hmm, could you point me to links of a lipo charger, and a lipo speed control
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 22:46:15 by czstycor/c »

olds45512

• Silver Level
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 22:26:25 »
heres a link to the charger i have and its awesome. it will charge lipos and it will charge tyco packs
http://www.hobbypartz.com/skychb6chdup.html

heres a like to an esc that ive heard some good thing about
http://www.hobbypartz.com/ezrun-18a-v2-esc-for-rc-car.html

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 22:48:36 »
what about a reciever and remote? i thought maybe this????...

http://www.hobbypartz.com/fs-g2-24ghz-radio.html

olds45512

• Silver Level
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 22:52:13 »
the fly sky is supposed to be good but ive never used it myself, but for the price you cant beat it.

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 23:08:53 »
i like that charger wish it wasn't out of stock.

speed control seems like a good price.

fly sky has good reviews wish it was in stock.

so with all these is should complete my car???

olds45512

• Silver Level
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 23:16:48 »
you will need a servo for the steering but other than that you should be good to go.

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 23:21:56 »
isn't this cord hanging out from the servo?
when i turn the front wheels it makes that noise and stay locked which ever direction i push them

olds45512

• Silver Level
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 23:25:14 »
ok yea thats the servo, didnt notice the wire. you should be good to go.

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 23:27:47 »
now if only everything was in stock!!  oldss you are my new best friend  ;D i think i'll buy you harley truck! haha you got me in a great mood

olds45512

• Silver Level
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 23:30:12 »
how many 49mhz eliminators you have?

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 23:40:15 »
one. i had two parts ones, i made an eliminator traxx out of one.

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2011, 17:40:37 »
how do i know what speed control to use, i see on hobbyking.com they are split into categories of <20 amp, 20-39 amp, and so on.

what tells me which to use?