About The Progress Of This Project
This online game was developed by Nathaniel Dragon in 2005 as a play-by-mail-style
web-based game, so players could be involved in one or more games, playing at times
that were convenient to each player.
This game is based on a board game from Milton Bradley, Conquest of the Empire. Although this game is
similar to the original, this game is not exactly the same as the
board game. It's mixed with some features from the Eagle Games release and also
has elements of the combat system based on the WarCraft Board Game by Fantasy
Flight Games. Please look over the instructions of this game and if you are curious about
something that is not listed there, please visit Dragons
Hobbies Forum to ask any questions that the instructions do not answer. Also,
please don't hesitate to let me know if there are differences the instructions and
actual game play.
This was the first big PHP project that I had ever worked on, which means that
there were many mistakes made that I now have a difficult time dealing with
whenever there are updates to do. In 2006 I decided to take the game off my
website because I was getting too frustrated with it.
Near the end of 2010, the game was brought back online, thanks to Chris (TylerChuit) for
giving space on his website and encouragement to get back to developing this and other
games. Version 1.3 is the updated version of the game, with adjustments to overcome
changes to the core PHP language, hosting companies, and to use SMF as the base point
for user login and management. There have been some details that were not recorded
during this process, but I'll do my best to keep a log of further changes to the
system. The entire thing really needs a complete rewrite, but that's not something I
have time to tackle right now.
Version 1.3.1 - Uploaded 2012-07-27
Version 1.3.2 - Uploaded 2012-08-08
- Updated email notifications - they were going to the wrong person, based on the
player ID for a given game rather than the user ID of the appropriate player. This
was probably the reason why Charles (Wyldwing) and Chris (TylerChuit) disabled their email
notifications. I wish they had just told me if they were getting them in the first
place because I thought they weren't going out at all due to some server mail
- Updated Active Games and Finished Games tables - Removed time of last update from
index page. Server time is different anyway. Headers of tables also had minor
- Added logForDeveloper function to keep a log of request parameters in order to
watch for errors in the game system.
- Removed scroll image from background of messages and battle log.
- Display of avatar images updated for index page.
- Added Final Round to Finished Games table on index page.
Version 1.3.3 - Uploaded 2012-08-26
- Map update to include straits that were used in the Eagle Games version.
- Update display for battle logs and message logs.
- Changed territory values to match Eagle Games version: Aquitania (from 5 to 10),
Narbonesis (from 10 to 5), and Tingitana (from 10 to 5)
- Updated instructions to explain new rules for straits.
- Minor bug fix on territories page.
Version 1.3.4 - Uploaded 2012-08-27
- Updated territory page to allow ship selection before loading.
Version 1.3.5 - Uploaded 2012-08-29
- Cleaned up some old/dead code in purchase.php.
- Updated the process of selecting the next player after purchase phase is
Version 1.4 - Uploaded 2012-09-23
- The Purchase page had two other files split out of it to prepare for shopping
cart. (Another separation will probably be necessary for looping through the purchase
method of purchasing should still work, with the shopping cart feature working along
- New "finish turn" functionality now handles all the checks and updates related to ending a players
- New "game over" functionality now displays a more fitting end page for the game and is accessible
even after the game is over - nicer for email notices.
Version 1.5 - Uploaded 2015-11-15
- Battle files broken down into various functions for reuse with new battle
- New optional (default) battle system called "Fight To Death." Battles in progress
keep using the original "Hit and Run" system.
Version 1.5.1 - Uploaded 2015-11-17
- Updated queries to tie in with the latest version of Simple Machines Forum,
primarily with regard to the change of fieldnames from the previous version
of SMF that was being used.
- Converted db functions to use MySQLi for all database functions related to the
game. Prior to this, everything was still using the deprecated MySQL functions.
Version 1.5.2 - Uploaded 2015-11-18
- Updated a few files to remove the closing PHP tag which was causing some
whitespace to end up set before other header commands were called.
Version 1.5.3 - Uploaded 2015-11-27
- Updated territories forms in order to keep unrelated values out of other forms.
- Also added page name variable to finishturn to avoid an error at the end
of the round.
Version 1.5.4 - Uploaded 2016-10-07
- Update to avoid some unnecessary warnings during the battle stage.
Version 1.5.5 - Uploaded 2016-10-09
- Bug fixes for the message system, battle system, map, and setup features
that were affected by the change to using MySQLi.
- Rules clarifications on the Instructions page.
Version 1.5.6 - Uploaded 2016-10-19
- Bug fixes for the map and other functions that were affected by the
change to using MySQLi.
Version 1.5.7 - Uploaded 2016-10-21
- Bug fixes for the Ships displayed in the Territory pop-up and page.
- Bug fixes for the Battle system.
- Minor adjustment to the Territory pop-up to show territory data if empty.
Version 1.5.8 - Uploaded 2016-10-31
- Bug fixes for a warning on Territory page.
- Bug fixes for Game Ending function.
- Adjustment on index page to hide Stalled games (more than a month since last activity).
Version 1.5.9 - Uploaded 2016-11-07
- Instead of manual release, automatically release captive loyal Generals
from territories currently controlled by their own.
Version 1.5.10 - Uploaded 2016-11-21
- Bug fix for releasing loyal generals.
Version 1.5.11 - Uploaded 2016-12-14
- Bug fix for movement when Generals move into their own
home territory where enemy Generals exist as captives.
- Bug fix for movement of the first General after a list of unassigned
units in the map dialog box.
Version 1.6 - Uploaded 2016-12-29
- Bug fix for free movement that was reported by Mike (Ramoth).
- Lots of groundwork for the new invitation system is ready, but still
just in a testing phase. However, some other bugs have been fixed along with
all of that, so this update will just be a preview of what is to come for
that particular feature.
- Much thanks to Andrew (Agluna), Mike (Ramoth), Raj (rmukherjee), and Mike
(Mmiller22) for sending questions and bug reports! (If you see an error,
please, get a screenshot and send it to me!)
- Bug fix for changing the stage of the game during another players turn.
- Bug fix for switching to the next player after the current player was eliminated.
- Bug fix for paying ransom.
- Bug fix for potential double-clicking or slow loading issue that caused loss of movement points.
Down the road...
- New feature: Invitation system for potential players, including non-members.
Eventually there will be some other features that I've been wanting to add for a
very long time. Here are a few of the points on my wishlist for the future.
- Home Location selection to be done by players instead of always random.
- Another option to allow recruiting with Caesar in a city other than the original Home Location.
- Another Battle System allowing players to have more control over how long they will stay and fight.
- Graphical updates, including territory images and Battle Log updates, and better indicators for the active player.
- An option for simultaneous turn resolution style game (inspired by Diplomacy and The Last Knights).
Thank you for your interest. I hope you enjoy the game. --Dragon